Skip to main content

Day 10 One Voice now


My therapist has introduced the theory to me of the inner child.  I have to say that as long as I’ve heard of this I didn’t give it much credence.  After several sessions though a light began to glimmer and it started making sense.  Especially when she told me it’s not just one inner child, it’s a bus load of them.  “But you’re not unique in that Pher!”  Knowing me, that was key to say.  When a familiar feeling arises that resonates with one of my “children”, that voice is the one that leads the pack.  Rage for instance, can rally the troops and all in unison they’ll abdicate their place and the screaming eventually finds its way out of my mouth and out into the real world.  Results vary but mostly on the poor scale.  The melancholy child sets off an entirely different rumbling throughout the bus.  He broods and the whole gang starts dragging.  The chain reaction activates the depression child and then the droopy voice starts whining and you get the picture.

This is how it rolls and has rolled for many years.  No guidance, no discipline.  Just flight of fancy and mow them down with whatever voice is the loudest.  It’s what Chaos taught me as normal and so it has been.  Imagine though a bus (I like the bus analogy better than a room) full of unruly kids.  Hands gripping the seat in front of them like they’re ready to spring into flight.  Eyes fidgeting, jaws grinding, flopping back and forth between sitting and hopping.  A nervous titter flowing through and down the aisle.  Looking up at the mirror to see if the driver notices the sling shot you’re pulling out of your back pocket.  A smile like a sneer always present waiting impatiently to turn green and scream.  “Who said that?” frantically whipping your head around hoping to catch the last letter coming out of someone’s mouth.  The moonie kids sit silent looking up at god knows what.  God they’re weird.  The stoners always laughing at something sounding like a fire extinguisher extinguishing itself.  Precious few jocks on this bus, even they’re afraid of the demented masses that typically rule in here.  Some fucked up kids on this bus too.  You never know what the day is going to bring on the way to … shit, where are we going?  This one bozo stands up and turns around, looking dapper and serious.

“I declare now that I now take a stand for maximizing love and well-being for myself and others.  I declare this to all the children present.  Angry, Sad, Disillusioned, Mad, Abandoned, Alone, Stoned, Shy, Suffocating, Critically Wounded, Rage, Manic, Depressed, Lost, Unique and Afraid.  I now take the scepter of power out of love and well-being for us, me and you.  I declare the war is over.  Only peace will be negotiated.  No borders will be necessary as I love you all unconditionally.  Peace and good will now reigns.”

He looks solemnly over the entire bus, he looks everybody in the eye with something like mirth or joy.  The bus is quiet and all eyes are on the “leader”.  I realize only now that the bus is not moving.  The driver is watching the boy with intent, not serious and not malicious, just observing.  I take one long last look.  Fuck it, I shoot him in the forehead with my sling shot and start laughing, “Fuck you loser, you’re on the wrong bus!”  I check out my friends for the usual supporting snickering but they’re not even looking at me.  They’re pointing at the kid.  WTF?

“I declare now that I take a stand for maximizing love and well-being for myself and others.  I declare this to all the children present.  Angry, Sad, Disillusioned, Mad, Abandoned, Alone, Stoned, Shy, Suffocating, Critically Wounded, Rage, Manic, Depressed, Lost, Unique and Afraid.  I now take the scepter of power out of love and well-being for us, me and you.  I declare the war is over.  Only peace will be negotiated.  No borders will be necessary as I love you all unconditionally.  Peace and good will now reigns.”

He looks me straight in the eye.  The swelling over his eye is closing off his vision I can tell.  But he is smiling without guile and dabs his forehead with a Kleenex he got from nowhere.  I sit back down stunned.  I don’t feel bad, I don’t feel stupid.  Strangely I believe him.  My sling shot drops to the floor and I sit back and wait to hear more.

1.  I'm grateful that I realize that I have a great life.
2.  I'm grateful that my headache is down to a level 4 today.
3.  I'm grateful that I get up in the morning to go to a fantastic job.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re