Skip to main content

Day 101 My Busted Head


I keep thinking I’m getting better.  Better at life, better making choices, better with my behavior.  Then it seems to cave in on itself in a bout of narcissistic self-absorption.  I guess some days I just don’t get it.  I’ve been diagnosed with bipolar and maybe all I can hope for is that there will be moments that I do get it but with mountain sized bookends of only trying to figure it out.  Maybe the miracle is that I am trying to figure it out, at least I’m making a fight out of it.  I wonder if I’m fighting or flirting with a depression now.  Typically they’re a downer, tiredness, ennui, isolation, self slutdom, the worst.  But today I feel very tired and tested every day.  I slept for most of the day Saturday and forced myself out of bed Sunday to ride my bike.  I had to get out and breathe.  If being tired is the only symptom this time then maybe I can tolerate it but it won’t subside or bide the tide at this level.

This is one of the reasons I’ve decided to write this blog.  The days leading up to 60.  Maybe this is part of that.  60 is just a number but sometimes it feels like jumping off of a cliff.  I don’t have that natural, spiritual gift that life is a wonder, a joy every day that I get to participate in.  I don’t wake up in the morning with little rituals of reading, praying and thanking a higher power for all the charity I’ve been blessed with.  No I just forget to do that, every single day.  I forget. I just get up and get ready to go to work.  I go into work with the same mind that I’ve been fighting with, trying to figure out shit, trying to fit it into some normal fucking mode that will give me ease and pleasure without effort.  Why can’t I have that mind?  What twisted bitch of fate had to hand me the one that slipped off the belt and was kicked around on the ground for 40 minutes before finally getting picked up, wiped off on someone’s denims and put back on the belt?  “Oh just put that on the Shirley belt, it’ll do.”

My therapist explained the “rejected child” theory last night and, yes, that’s my story.  The rejected child.  When I was born my older brother developed a deadly case of chronic asthma and of course the attention was on his survival.  I get it.  By the time he started getting a little better another brother was born and of course he had to have some maternal attention too.  I get that too.  I was born with a twitter that bordered on seismic spassdom so I was just too much too handle.  Welcome to the world of Chris.  They just let me rock myself to sleep, rock my bunk bed across the room every night and just push it back into place the next day, every chair a rocking chair.  Do you get it?  I was never still.  I don’t think they knew how to hold me so I stayed forever moving, one lap to the next, to the couch, the chair, the steps, in front of the TV, behind the TV, in the kitchen, on my bed, in my closet, etc.  I don’t know if it was emotional or just faulty wiring I just could never stay still.  Not rejected but injected with speed.  This wasn’t just my normal physical activity but I had a brain to match.  I always wanted to know what was going on, what was next, when was the boring subject over, are you talking to me and what did you say, what TV show is on next?  Moving, moving, moving.  Go, go, go. 

Whatever I did as a kid broadsided me as an adult.  I know I’m not the only one but I still have the mind of a boy when it comes to paying attention.  Yeah I have a steady job and pay my bills, have a house, a car etc.  But it all came as a surprise mostly.  I just happened to be in the right place at the right time most of the time.  My job now I got out of that spastic persistence.  I put out resumes for 2 years before someone hired me with no experience.  I just wouldn’t give up on that one.  I learned everything on the job.  When I bought my first home I got laid off two weeks after making my first mortgage check.  Oh yeah, that was a crap moment.  But I spassed up and found a job within 2 weeks and managed to keep that house.  I have a lot, a lot of little tales like this.  Relationships came and went the same way, between trips of spassdom.  I would fall into them and feel like the luckiest guy in the world.  But they would make me think and think hard.  I would think I would have to have a 4 year college degree, or that I had to have some notion of saving the planet my own special way.  I would think that I would always have to be the good guy and say sure, sure, sure that sounds great.  Eventually I would collapse under the weight of that noneledge (my own word) and find myself single again.

I just didn’t think that I was making a difference in the world and for some reason I had to do that.  I had to be special in some way that would make me the most appealing person you’d ever known.  Even in therapy I wanted to be the best patient that you had on the couch.  I don’t even know what that means to be the best patient!  Does it mean the sickest or the healthiest or the most challenging?  I don’t want to be like my co-workers.  I want to like them, sure, why not, they’re all good people, but I don’t want to be like them at work.  I want to shine but also to be kept in a room where only I can see how shiny I am.  And somehow for you to know that.  In some secret special way you would know that and treat me with super-secret respect, winking at me when we pass in the hallway because of that knowledge.  And I wonder why I fall into depressions.

I was at Bob’s wake on Sunday and learned a lot about him that I didn’t know.  He had made a difference in many people’s lives and I felt small that I could not cry because of an old tired resentment.  I may be known for holding on to resentments that could qualify, right?  Of course, a part of me knew there wouldn’t be that many people at my wake and I was just feeding my depression a 5 course meal at that point.  I’m part of something but I still don’t know what it is.  When I discover that my thinking is defective I go back to ground zero in a lot of areas. I don’t have a safe place in my head where I see myself as others see me.  Damn it, my bipolar is supposed to be my super power but I feel so powerless right now.  If I don’t feel good about myself 24 hours a day, then something is wrong and I point those 3 fingers at myself all the time.  I want to be off the hook, I want to relax, I want to make mistakes with glee, and I want to be defective with joy.  I want to like somebody and not have to have so, so many rules to abide by.  I want to feel like the dad I was when Ry was 10 to him now at 28.  I want my aches and pains of facing 60 to only be physical.  I want that part of my brain that knows I’m special to be open to me regardless of what’s going on outside of me.  I’m not only a rejected child but I’m a sensitive child too and the world and it’s wiring that I find myself in is too harsh for my nature.

1.       I’m grateful that I can try to write what I feel is going on currently.

2.       I’m grateful that I will only turn 60 once.

3.       I’m grateful that I have a new bike and that I’m riding it every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re