Skip to main content

Day 97 My BP Group


Hello.  I’m still here.  Just living life one day at a time.  I just had an ergo evaluation so I’m coming from a much more comfortable place.  It started with a sharp pain in my neck and it started when I started typing this blog.  At first it was just a pain that only lasted as long as I was typing and then it would go away.  Slowly, as I grew more ancient like the planets in the solar system, the pain started to linger.  Then it was just a persistent pain.  Dang, I’m not loving getting older.  But now that my stance is much more acceptable to the ergo gods I do believe that I can type pain free for a time. YAY!  I’ll take it.

It seems like days go by and nothing happens but when you think about it in terms of blogging, a lot has happened.  Not only in terms of blogging but just life in general.  I went to my sister’s house the other night to play cards and that was a good night out!  We played 2 games of cribbage and the rubber match is in the wings for championship rights between us.  I like it to be me just because I’m a cribbage dick but we can‘t all be perfect.  She’s been kicking my ass lately so I have to come back to the top eventually.

On Wednesday’s I go to my bipolar support group and it has been influential for me these past several years.  The last Wednesday before this one it was an intense session.  We asked each other why.  First there’s the safety factor.  We’ve all experienced the challenges of mental illness at its worst and have fought back.  We’ve suffered the demons of stigmatism from everyone, including family.  When we’re in the room we are finally in a place where we don’t have to explain ourselves.  We just share a slice of our life and everyone is nodding their head, yes, yes, I know, I know.  A person was talking the other week and she was relating about being in an outside hospital group and she couldn’t understand why all of those people weren’t thinking about suicide every day.  I get it.  Depression, the great leveler of men and women.  It followed that everyone else was telling their secret life out loud.  Feeling deeply misunderstood, unloved, lonely and unwanted.  Wanting to be more of a man, wanting to not run from relationships, shying from people because once they find out about our mental illness it will be too much.  Stigma is the number one burning cross for us.  The reactions we get range from the ridiculous to the sublime.  But it’s there.  So in group we don’t shy away from telling our story for fear of any of that stigma. 

The church that we meet in has such a stigma to the stigma that they have never charged us a penny for using their rooms.  Some nights we crowd into 4 rooms.  That’s a blessing.  We mainly have 2 rooms and the culture is so different from room to room.  Our room we let you share and say not a word until you feel you’ve finished your piece.  We try not to offer advice as what’s one path is not the other’s path at all.  We do offer support and experience of what it was like for us when something similar is stated.  For that almost 2 hours we share love and caring and I walk out of there feeling hope.  No matter what I’ve shared I always try to end on an optimistic note.  I may not have such negatively charged weeks but I want to express hope that you too can get better.  I’ve done my snot sobbing in time in those chairs and I’ve gotten better.  Time, medication, therapy, desire to get well, kicking my ass to get out of bed to fight the day, whatever it has taken, I have gotten better.  And if I can do it with the black cloud that hung over me, I know my fellow group members have the same opportunity. I made a decision that I was good and not defective and started with that crumb to climb out of that deep hole of despair.

Yesterday I told somebody that I was five minutes away from crazy again despite all the work I’ve done.  I don’t think I believe it.  I’ve had my meds changed up recently and it has wreaked havoc on my sleep.  If there is one thing that can throw you into mental madness its lack of sleep.  It can screw anybody up but if you’re wiring is already sensitively laid out, beware the beast of non-sleep.  The tones of conversations start to have undertones that I didn’t realize at the time.  Seemingly innocent incidents start taking on malicious intent.  I’m not trusting my thoughts as plainly as I used to.  I stay home more and have reasons for not going out.  Everyone starts to seem happier and have their shit together better than you.  It’s relentless the thoughts that start to collate in your head.  That’s a good reason for me to go to my group.  When I lay that out on them it sounds different and less menacing.  Other people nod and have been there, still there and some have left that behind.  It’s a good club to be a part of but not one that you want to join.  I love it.

1.       I’m grateful that my illness has been in “remission” for quite a while.

2.       I’m grateful for the courage of the members that do show up.

3.       I’m grateful I didn’t end my life over the depth of my depression.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re