Skip to main content

Day 215 Ha ha Dating Ha ha


Today I did a thirty minute sit.  I felt some pain meander in and I thought I will treat this with meditation.  My readings say sit with the pain, embrace the pain.  Don’t avoid, avoid aversion.  I think my whole life has been aversion to pain, so much so, that I don’t know exactly when I’m in it and when I’m not.  Ok there are lots of instances when I know but those are symptoms of a much deeper pain.  That’s what I’ve been working on these past few years.  First with pill popping and we all know how well that works.  It just makes the pain BIGGER!  Hah!  But I lied to myself that it felt good on that train to derail the pain.  Of course with the AA head I would always feel guilty because everyone knows I’m an addict and everyone knows I’m supposed to stay clean.  I would take on that guilt and increase it by multitudes of degrees until I got to loser stage.  Every fucking time.  And the original pain?  Untouched by anything positive.  Just dumped on the ammo pile for the next trip.  But I’ve been learning.  I’ve been learning not to pop pills for any reason (at least the high making pills) and I don’t feel guilty.  Simple suggestion for a simple problem.   That doesn’t take care of the pain though.  And inevitably I would go through some pain.  Usually behind women and my relationships with them.  The choices I would make for what women I would want.  The results of those choices boomeranging back into my face when I least expected it.  Just the usual, one gal and a gang of problems.  No haggling over price, I would always pay the same price.

These last days before turning 60 don’t automatically give me mad skills in living life pretty and productively.  I’m just detailing them more than I usually do.  So there was this girl that I had a crush on for an instant and she didn’t respond at all.  Or she would make some noises that I would completely misinterpret because I was in that mode.  I was in the mode, not her. I did my suffering in silence, sat with my pain retardedly because I didn’t have any idea what that meant.  But really it was only a week long thing so no harm no foul, right?  Right.  That’s how it was.  My first instinct was to be stand offish to her but I realized she didn’t do anything wrong.  She was just being who she was but now she had to deal with the changing personality of Chris.  What’s with that?  Being certain places that I wanted to be at were at the same places that she wanted to be at and I would always run into her.  There was no schedule for when I had to deal with any of that pain, because there is no schedule for that.  Unless you isolate at home to prevent any contact and I don’t want that shit anymore.  So sitting with the pain taught me that she was human, as much as I was.  I didn’t make my intentions clear as I usually do.  I just act in a different way to see what her reactions may be and go from there.  Not a solid plan but it’s mostly what I’ve done my whole life.  Test the water baby, with a little toe and then stick a bigger toe in and then rock the planet by opening my mouth.  This was just a toe settling in period.

During these times that I ran into her I had to act natural because I don’t want to be a dick.  Especially since the insight I gained told me she had no idea of my intentions.  I found out she is a really unique person and I don’t have to date her to like her.  I can just like her for the person she is and not have to pour any other emotion into it.  I can still spend time with her as a friend and still get the benefit of having her as company. And she is good company.  I don’t have any hidden agenda when I’m engaging her in conversation and it’s all natural.  There’s not any goofy awkwardness when I am talking to her because my emotions are tottering or doddering, whatever it is at my age.  I actually act natural and we get along fine.  I don’t find myself wondering why I said that or that later on in the day.  The kind of stuff that happens at the beginning of relationships.  The time from the moment that I have no chance and to the moment of friendship talking, I am okay.  I don’t suffer from self doubt, I don’t suffer from being left out, I don’t suffer from lack.  I might occasionally wonder what it would be like if we were a couple but it’s only a thought not a fantasy.  And not a dragging fantasy that brings me down.

I know this all sounds like a 13 year balancing testosterone for the first time, but it is still a thing with me.  I try to play it down that I’m single but it’s something you can’t force, it’s something that just is no matter what you want or think you want.  I make choices of which women turn me on and then start the judging tornado and guessing game.  I mean I’m pretty honest in making my intentions known but it has to be a couple of dates in.  Then there is the conversation that I have to have disclosing my mental aberration.  That’s always good for a few laughs.  But it’s traumatizing to me to think about.  I’ve lost potential “women” over this conversation and I don’t blame them.  They just are caught up in the stigma and may not realize what it is for each different person.

I’m not a bad guy, in fact I think I would be a good catch.  It just seems infinitely impossible with the good choices that I run into or rather don’t run into.  Now they’re too young on top of all the other little ditties.  If she’s not 50 then forget it.  There’s a lot of interesting woman at a lot of different ages but I feel I have to cut off that demographic because of the span.  It’s not fair!  Even 50 is too young, really.  Maybe the deadline is 52 now but that goes up each year.  I’m not on the internet looking for dates either.  There’s just something inherently wrong about that for me.  I’ve done it before and “found” a woman but it proved to be too much way too soon.  It kind of burned my fingers from that source.  Maybe a meetup group wouldn’t be a bad way to go.  “Old people going on Wheelchair hikes” or something.

I was leading up to something but I got sidetracked by my mood and my multitude of thoughts.  Yes there is a woman I like and was hoping I could sidetrack into dating for a while.  When you think of desire and dating somebody, what time period do you think of anyway?  It’s not like each relationship is going to last forever and with that in mind, you prepare yourself emotionally for something short of that.  But how short?  Your mind is set so when something weird or negative comes up, you wonder is this it?  Is that the end or is it just a bump in the road?  How much do you fight for the relationship?   Knowing there is an expiration sometimes you just give up the ship prematurely just to save the inevitable heartache that’s in store now or for sure, later.  And how do you do that respectfully or maturely?  It’s a good part guessing that this is the argument that’s going to end it or not.  It doesn’t have to be an argument, just something that doesn’t ring true in your head. You don’t know.  You don’t know if you’re on the same path.  You’re sure you don’t want to prolong the wait because of said expiration date.  You know I don’t know what I’m talking about.  I haven’t’ been in a secure long term relationship since we walked on the moon.  I think I’m just a natural fraidy cat when it comes to coming clean in a relationship.  In my mind I can do it.  In the past I have done it but I think this age thing has cut too close to the heart right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re