Skip to main content

Day 229 Vacation


Hi.  I have just come back from a week and a half vacation.  Whew is it hard coming back to work.  I went back East, no surprise and spent time with my cousins.  Specifically Halina and her beau, David.  And their 3 teenagers and 4 dogs.  4 dogs.  Two of them are the yappy Chihuahuas that true to their nature, yapped whenever I got within walking distance from them.  God I wanted to step on them.  Other than that it was sweet.  Went down to North Carolina to the Outer Banks and spent time in the sun.  And in the water which was a balmy 75% degrees.  But it was just sweet to get comfortable with my family. 

I had thoughts of the big picture, a cousin hanging out with a cousin well into our 50’s.  Well I have a lot of thoughts about doing a lot of things well into my 50’s lately.  I don’t think it’s a bad thing and they all seem to like me when we get together.  You know that expression about staying longer than 3 days it gets kind of old.  I hope they don’t think that when I go out there.  They rent a house in the Outer Banks and I stay with them the whole week and then drive back with them.  I feel like part of the family I get so comfortable with all of them.  The kids like me and I’m easy on them, I’m the adult they can come too and really let loose with how they feel.

We stayed with David’s parents twice, on the way down and on the way back.  They prepared a Thanksgiving dinner for the trip back.  How nice is that?  My own room, dinner, they live on the York River and the sunsets are magnificent!  It was such a good trip.

I read a couple of Buddha books while I was out.  Good stuff.  I got to meditate every day without distraction.  I stayed clean and sober.  Yes I did.  There were a few moments when I felt out of my economic class when more than one family member was present.  They all make way more than I do and I was letting it get to me.  We all make our choices of how we approach life and some of my early ones were pretty unskilled resulting in the income I make today.  I’m not broke I just don’t have the luxury of being able to rent one of those houses myself.  I felt a burning inside of me, I don’t know if it was embarrassment or the loser mentality that I used to get so frequently when I was younger.   It passed as I regurgitated on it.  It does prompt me to examine my financial life and see where I can improve my standing.  It’s a weird thing to be bothered about but I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t bring it up and the only downer I suffered while I was there.  Well it wasn’t the only downer but it was a big downer.

The other downer was when they would get together with friends or family for dinners etc and drinks would be poured and wine bottles opened.  I don’t drink because of the fool I am when I do so that was another marker that tried to pull me down.  Once again, choices that were made when I was younger.  It’s been so long that I drank socially you wouldn’t think I would care but sometimes the connection gets fired up and I feel a part from and eventually just wander off and find someplace out to hang out.  Luckily it wasn’t something I had to deal with all the time but it was almost just enough.  I don’t know what it is, this fascination with hanging out with my family.  I like it one day and then question it the next day.  My cousin Peter brought his kids (5 and 3) over for Matt to babysit and I realized, hey, they’re family too!  It was just weird.  In a good way weird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re