Skip to main content

Day 232 Playing around


“Hi Anne, it’s so good to see you!” I blushed as I blurted this out.

“Hi Chris, it’s good to see you too.  You look good.” Anne was blushing a bit too.

I reached over the suitcase and gave her a hug and did an awkward side face kiss.  She kissed at the same time and we hit each other on the cheek.  I was aiming for her lips like the fool that I am but at the last second tilted the angle and swiped along the side of her face.  The funny thing was she was doing the same thing.  Now it was really awkward.

“Thanks for coming out to pick me up, I thought you would be busy with the kids and Eddie would come.”

“The kids are all almost teens now and I wanted to see you first!” she admitted.  “I put Eddie to work on tonight’s dinner.”

“Well that was a good decision.  Let’s go get ‘em!” I rushed my words hoping to hide the nervousness of my thoughts.  Anne picking me up.   I was looking forward to seeing her but her picking me up was a bonus of heavenly magnitude.

“Want to go to lunch first?” she hummed as we turned to walk out of the terminal.  The question hung in the air between us.  “I’m really happy to see you.  Your message about not coming unless I showed up for this week really made me feel special.”

“Let’s go, I didn’t check my bags so I’m ready.”  She nodded in agreement and placed her hand on the back of my arm to lead me. 1…2….3….4….5 seconds she kept her hand on my arm before dropping it to her side.  It felt like 5 minutes her gentle touch on my body.  I was fluid with emotion.  Vacation, family, friends, no work but it all paled to having Anne by my side without another person around.

We walked together out into the parking lot without another word.  I followed her to the car and placed my suitcase in the backseat.  She opened her door and got in.  I stood for a moment outside the car and shook the daze out of my head.  I opened the door and hopped in.  “Where to Anne?” I sputtered.

She leaned over, one hand behind my neck and the other on my cheek and pulled me into her lips.  We kissed stupidly yet with a longing for about 3 minutes.  I put my arms around as best as I could in the cramped front seat of her Subaru.  I wanted to tear off her clothes and throw her in the back of the car.  But for the first time kissing each other hungrily it was sweet and benignly tender.  Anne pulled back as sudden as she came in and looked at me with kind eyes.  “I wanted to do that for a long time Chris.  I don’t know why but I did. Now where should we go for lunch?”

If that was it, I was okay.  A little touch of southern magic lit into my life and it felt good.   If my vacation was over at that point it would have been the best vacation I had taken in a very long time.  “Well thank you for that!  At this point I don’t care if I eat or not.” I laughed.

Anne laughed too and set her mood to driving acting as if we were solid friends and nothing had just happened.  What was I to expect?  She was married, solidly to my best friend with 2 grown kids.  We lived on opposite sides of the country.  This was just a brief encounter to test the waters albeit wonderfully.  I didn’t expect any more from her and frankly was surprised at what she did give up.  It was a beautiful surprise and I found myself so tickled and pickled by the experience I didn’t know what to say or really what to do.  Yeah it was a conundrum her being married to Bill, my best friend back east and I would have to deal with the cancer of denial and guilt over our little passionate moment.   But I would not pursue it anymore.  No, that was it.  That would be the only fall out that I would allow to happen.  Unless she pulled me into her face again.  Of course, I’m human and I’m a man.  I could only dream of what could happen next.  No, no, stop thinking now Chris, this is where trouble starts when you keep thinking.  What happened was a bonus and nothing more.  Nada, deliciousada but nada now.

“I want to keep thinking about what just happened, I said.  It was very sweet and surprising, thank you.”

“Please don’t thank me Chris, let’s just let it be what it was.  A moment between friends. Okay?”   She was a bit curt and I realized the demons she would have to deal with were gigantic compared to mine.  Okay, then, no harm, no foul.

“Let’s go to Sonic, I’m feeling a burger appetite coming on with a milkshake topper!”  I settled into my seat and stared forward feeling overwhelmed.  More like 2 burgers appetite coming on.  And maybe a dozen milkshakes to top it off.  If I didn’t stop thinking about “it”, it would be ruined by an overwhelming sense of stupidity and common sense.  It wasn’t supposed to happen and shouldn’t have happened but it did.  I was letting myself spin out of control.  This is why I’m single, waiting for impossible moments like this to happen, with women that I’m not supposed to be with.  I engage in fantastical mythical storylines about romance and chance, majestic gestures that in the end are simply human and tender molecular moments.  Molecular in the sense of what kind of explosion could occur as a result of the betrayal leaking out and also in the sense of the big picture of where it should be shelved.  Just a moment, a blessed moment out of my ordinary life that doesn’t need to be carved into a mountain.  So I climbed down from that mountain and put on my seatbelt and rode with my good friend, Anne to Sonic burgers in Kentucky for a meal I would never forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re