Skip to main content

Day 59 Soul Maize


Soul mate.  From whence did these words come?  Actually it was about 1,000 years ago when courtly love was introduced into the western world.  Before that it was probably arranged marriages and you grew into love or great like with your mate.  But courtly love was a different beast altogether.  The symbolism was the pairing of the feminine and the masculine in the mind creating a balanced union, a spiritual connection, peace with your interior and exterior world.  I know I know, I’ve been reading Jungian psychology but it’s been calling out to me for the past 30 years and I think it has merit.  The idea being that it was carried out on a mental level, never to be carried on a physical level.  When the projection of romance fades (and it always does), if you are still in love with the flesh and blood woman in front of you than my hats off to you.  I have been fascinated by long term relationships my whole life.  My parents being the first one I witnessed and what I witnessed was pretty close to a horror show.  Really, I would use their relationship as a flag ship model for what NOT to do and why NOT to stay together.  Funny thing, I never learned what to do though.

Is it a twist of fate, a certain destiny that keeps a couple together for decades?  I realize there is compromise and sacrifice, give and pull, respect and regard and all of that.  But where does it come from?  How do you know when you in the middle of compromise number 459 that this is the one?  Do you tell yourself, well, she is it for me no matter what?  It’ll never get any better.  Or I’ve spent this many years compromising, I’m damned if I’m going to do it again for someone else.  I’m too old to start over again.  Or maybe from a different tack, I’m no bargain myself and if she can put up with me I surely can put up with her.  Oh how I value that maturity.

My mind created illusion of “me, myself and I” always had an internal dialogue of, “once she gets to know the real me, it’s over.” I would suffer the compromise with aplomb and hope to move on to the next event.  Maybe that was the issue, waiting for the next event to happen.  Instead of just enjoying the now.  I’m just grasping at straws as all of my relationships are over.  Kaput.  I’ve ended them, they’ve ended them.  Some shut down with a modicum of maturity and some shut down with a morass of more ass.  I would head them off way before the pass when the news would come in that there might be a long term stability feature built in.  That’s not the only reason.  I would always dream that something better was waiting for me.  Some psychologists probably have wet dreams to examine that process.  No matter how good I felt, there was always one cell that would say, “Hey, I heard that ….”  That would be it.  The mind would start to wander.  I guess I’m just not psychologically built to handle that long term activity.  Oh there was all the usual stuff, didn’t have a 4 year degree, owed money on bills, didn’t own a house for the most part, etc.  My idea of traveling is to go visit my cousins and not some exotic island or country on the planet.  I could eat at the same restaurant every week because I liked the atmosphere and why would I go somewhere else then?  I know I like this place so hell yeah, let’s go there again.  A creature of habit.  I’m not saying I’m a true Archie Bunker, I’m willing to try new things but I could be completely satisfied with things the way they were.

I’ve been married twice and wanted to be married many times more.  But for what real reasons?  My first wife was truly my soul mate.  Those two words that I couldn’t shake.  We had the same appreciation for each other’s humor.  We enjoyed each other’s company no matter where we ended up.  We cared for each other and I wanted nothing other than the best for her.  I ached for her happiness.  We were in school and knew a lot of nights would be home based and studying.  I liked that and was satisfied.  It was my first true love in sobriety and everything was new.  Everything was now real for the first time.  One day built upon another day and another day.  I started projecting to the future and didn’t know how it would pan out in the end.  What if I didn’t finish school?  I wasn’t that motivated anyway but I did it regardless.  What if I ended up just being a working stiff and her a high fashioned business woman?  Could we be compatible then?  Or a thousand other different mutations, it didn’t matter.  The future started proving too much for me to bear.  We had a kid so I felt she was trapped either way and I didn’t want a hostage.  I let the future create its own monster of its own volition and I fell under the spell.  I started feeling wanderlust, like taking my chances elsewhere before the heat burned us both up.  I’m not painting a pretty picture of myself but I’m just putting down what was going on in my mind, what happens when I did get into a long term relationship.  I loved my wife like no other, I loved my son and I loved that I had a family.  I just couldn’t love myself enough to believe I deserved this unconditional love from outside myself.  I couldn’t do it inside myself first and foremost and that naturally flowed to distrusting the process from that point onward.  Or outward.  I couldn’t find that intimate trust for my actions, I couldn’t find that functioning human being that was accepted by others no matter what I thought.  I thought I was judged solely on my actions, my future inactions and not on the beautiful man I was on the inside if I could just let him stretch and unleash himself from myself.  I didn’t have the tool to unscrew him.  So I stayed screwed.

Our marriage ended for so many reasons, some that were incontrovertible and could not be reversed.  Some reasons were born out of my crazy imagination of how things would have ended up if I let her stay with me any longer.  I lost something of myself in that separation.  I couldn’t tell you what it was as I wasn’t sure myself.  But it was the future.  The future you have when you live one day at a time like each day is the last.  Maybe that’s what soul mates are meant to be.  To discover that happiness is just being, just being together in the moment.  That no plans need to be made to create happiness that it already just is.  That souls play and enjoy the game for no other reason than to just play.

1.       I’m grateful that I have time today to reflect on my history and learn.

2.       I’m grateful that I still have my first wife in my life as a good friend.

3.       I’m grateful for that first marriage and all the good that came out of it.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re