Skip to main content

Day 83 My Bike Got Hit


I got hit by a car today riding my bike to work.  Luckily the only damage seems to be my front wheel is bent completely out of shape.  I just put a brand new head light on the handle bars last night so I can light up the dark portions of my ride too!  I had 2 lights on in front, 2 blinking red lights on the back and just in case, wearing an orange reflective vest.  No matter.  If you’re not going to stop at a stop sign you’re going to hit people walking or riding.  He didn’t even make an attempt to stop.  It was slow enough that I tried to pull my bike out of harm’s way but he just didn’t stop fast enough and my wheel slid under his wheel.  Fuck.

It was 5:30 in the morning and I was yelling at him that he has to stop at stop signs.  “I did a roly poly stop, I guess I have to know that there are bike riders out early in the morning.”

Really?  He said that?  He was a nice enough guy and was apologetic and let me take pictures of all of his documents.  He even offered cash to fix my bike so I couldn’t be a complete bitch the whole time.  I just kept thinking my ride to work was screwed now because of this and I’ll have to walk my bike all the way there.  I was able to ride it though and it was a wobbly ride.  But I didn’t get hurt and one second later there could have been some serious damage.  So thank you my guardian angels for protecting me from the metal monsters this morning.  I really dig riding my bike to work and I don’t want to have to worry about getting whacked by traffic.  That takes the fun out of it!

1.       I’m grateful my guardian angels pushed me out of the way of serious damage.

2.       I’m grateful it was just a four way stop sign he ran and not a red light.

3.       I’m grateful I’m alive and all in one piece!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re