Skip to main content

Day 120 Daily Stream


I’m really at a standstill with my writing.   I want to be a Buddhist dude with the mentality of the now.  I promise I won’t talk with a Quaalude voice though when I see you.  I want the effort of any will to be only aware of the present and not dogged by the angst of the past or the anxiety of the future. 

I am being coached by my sponsor to write a brief, brief history of my life.  No, no I’m not going to put it in a blog!  But if I did, what would I call it?  “It’s A Meteor!  The short bright light of Pherstory.”  “Awakening In Hell, A Tale Of Nurtured Angst.”  “Chris, The Middle One.”  “Hypersensitized, A Story Of A Middle Child.”  “Born In The 50’s, Raised By A Wolf And A Sheep.”  Born a decade too soon and raised a century too late.  Controlled by external forces too powerful to contain in the brain of a child.  “Swept Away By The Rocking, The Wiggling, The Activity, the motion of a boy to insecure to call home home.”  “Why Don’t You Love Me?” And of course the favorite, “Why Was I Born Anyway?”

Would it be a drama, dramedy, tragedy or just pure comic unbelievability?  It has all of it.  Primarily being a child of a military officer has to be the underlying source of most of the pain.  New kid at least once every other year, sometimes twice a year.  Now this is my past, it’s not interfering with my daily reality as it once did.  Mother from Mars, literally.  No human compassion found unless it was for herself in unrelenting truck loads.  Big brother from 1984, do it my way or no way at all and then I’ll kick your ass just for fun.  It has loads of excitement, thrills, throw-backs, terror, angst, tears, laughter.  You’ll howl at some of the scenes in terror or laughter.

When I find the time I’ll write my future and it will be delightful.  A tale of maturity grounded in an uncanny knowledge of joy and tranquility.  Peace between siblings that no one saw coming.  A strength of character unseen by critics and psych professionals just a mere 5 years ago!  Not a meteor but a comet that comes back stronger each time it orbits the planet.  No longer bound by the search of the ever elusive “long term” relationship, he has found peace in the daily grind of being a single man.  And a peace it is.  Sitting with disappointment and pain, no longer running away from it.  He’s shown great growth in living life as life it is. 

With a background in losing friendships, due to indifference, death and suicides, he has continued to excel in promoting emotional health.  “Outside help has made all the difference in the world!” he answers to his audience.  “It started with a counselor back in the 90’s and I’ve towed that line ever since.”  With a 30 year background in Alcoholics Anonymous, Chris has maintained a belief, sometimes hair line thin, that it could all get better.  That he deserved the good life, unfettered by past demons and a litter of broken hearted relationships.  No doubt and no surprise that the journey was fractured and tortured by slips of sobriety and seismic shifts in psychiatric health.  He did not give in, he did not give up.  He just kept coming back which is a popular saying in the rooms of AA.  It was his strength that he kept well hidden that culminated in the strength that he is displaying today.  And it is day by day.  Keep the moment that counts in the present.

1.       I’m grateful for my health, emotionally, psychologically and physically.

2.       I’m grateful that I did my parenting when I did.

3.       I’m grateful for my most excellent sponsor.

Comments

  1. Chris, this is a very brave endeavor. I can relate to a lot of what you describe as I myself have moved around a lot. One day I sat down and counted..I have moved about 23 times. It sucks cause you never get to put down roots. I myself have lost a lot of friends in my life and some of them I regret though I don't know what happened. I am not alcoholic though I've lived with several. When in one of my darkest patches of life, I started writing poetry. Posted them on my site: http://sjholmwood.com, if you get time to read them...some are good and some aren't but they are from the heart. When you are a writer, you are often baring your soul to the world, or at least your audience. If you aren't, you aren't being truthful in writing from the heart. I hope you achieve the life you want.
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re