Skip to main content

Day 146 A Little Hiccup

Last night was interesting.   I was in therapy, yes, therapy and I just lost it. What triggered it was a simple statement from somebody chairing a meeting the other day.  He said he grew up in a normal home with loving parents and was given everything that he needed as a child and teenager.   Geez. I can’t relate to that at all.  I can’t put my finger on it, I can’t wrap my mind around that, I can’t understand what that could possibly mean.  I don’t have any relevance to that kind of life at all.  None, nada, dope.  I had the childhood of a wolf living in the back of the cave.  It’s not like missing Chem 1A and going oops, I have to retake that class to get credit, no, it’s missing a whole lifetime of youth.  Right, you only live once, you’re only young once, you don’t get that back.  I don’t want my youth back, hell no, but his statement really bugged me and I’m trying to figure out why.

One thing is my knee jerk reaction is that he’s fibbing.  It wasn’t ALL that good.  How could it be?  There’s always a clash when hormones start surging.  Even so, it wouldn’t have amounted to a life time of insecurities, merciless shame from such a short period of growth.  I guess you can fight your parents and still love them.  Once again, an example of something I’ll never know.  Or have the capacity to understand.  My parents were my nemesis like the Penguin and Batman but without the respect.  No, we didn’t fight fair because I lost every fight before it started.  I was never right and how dare I challenge the rules.

When I say my parents I’m mostly talking about the warhorse, my mom.  My dad was either not there physically or not there emotionally.  I’m also not whining as I know the time is past and there is nothing to be done other than look forward  to today and make the most of it as it rolls by.  I get that.  I’m human though and once in a while a trigger gets past my guard and takes me down, one punch to the chin down.  I realize that the work I’ve done to overcome such a shitty beginning is work.  And it’s work and it’s daily and it’s nonstop.  There are no mandated breaks because my mind will pursue the path least travelled and I can find myself in a fit in zero time.  That’s the rub, the nonstop work.  I get tired of trying to hit normal every day.  For years as an alcoholic I thought it was just normal to be a loser and live a life of shame and guilt and zero compassion for the mistakes I made daily.  I would pine for relationships just so I could focus on someone else for a bit instead of just me.  I don’t know if that is narcissism, maybe some twisted form because I didn’t think of myself solely because I was some kind of super star.

I know what else is bugging me, Facebook and all of its swarmy Happy Mother’s Day crap. I can appreciate that there is a lot of love out there between kids and parents but I’m not one of them.  I would like to put my feelings out there on what Mother’s Day means to me.  Thanks to all the moms that didn’t destroy childhoods so I can have some normal friends.  God, thank you.  Thank you mom for making sure my destiny is to always live a life examined.  To always stay alert to waning feelings so they don’t drown in depression by sinking too far. To never having a day to myself where some wandering notion doesn’t come down the pike saying kill yourself, your life is shit.  Thanks for the genetic wiring that has convinced the psychiatric world that I’m bipolar with no hope for a cure but just lifelong treatment with a hospital visit always beckoning.  Yeah thanks for that too.

I almost got into a conversation with my wonderful therapist (god bless her) about unconditional love. Am I able to harness that angelic quality for anybody that comes into my life?  I think I have it for my son, Ry as I would always love him no matter his situation.  I may get mad at him but I would love him anyway.  I think I learned with my parents that to fight was to hate.  There was never a resolution, just ammo for the next fight. 

But what about for me?  Will I ever have someone feel that way for me?  Yeah, why not me?  I’ve been through 2 marriages and the splits didn’t help with my confidence that I was truly in line for that handout.  I really felt lost, bereft, cataclysmically left out of the human condition during the time of reconstruction.  After the 2nd marriage broke up it was soon after that I found myself in a mental hospital on a 72 lock down.   Everything mental broke that morning.  There seemed to surely not be a fix this time.  It took years of denying my mental instability, my years of getting by superficially with anyone/everyone, years of playing human before I finally got caught.  That was my payoff.  5150 and on meds for life.  All this because of a mix up as a child.  I just wanted to be loved.  Was that too much to ask for as a 6 month old infant? The wonder I experienced as a child was surviving another day when I went to bed at night to rock myself violently to sleep.

1.       I’m grateful that I don’t rock myself to sleep at night.  I just don’t sleep.
2.       I’m grateful for the gift of meditation today.
3.       I’m grateful that I don’t know my future or how much longer I have to put up with this life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re