Skip to main content

Day 162 Just Streaming

It’s Thursday, the 28th of May and today I’m getting my front door measured.  I ordered a new door, one with lots of windows to let the glorious light of day fill my living room.   I have a fireplace right in the middle of my room that if I had my druthers I would remove and put a window there.  But the resale value is there with a fireplace.  Drat.  Plus I’ve seen how dusty it can get to remove a fireplace so my funky burning pit will stay and the new front door will have to illuminate what I want to see for now and all I want to see is daylight! 

I’ve been riding my bike this month.  May is bike month and my job makes a big deal out of it.  Which is good as it got me hooked.  I have 271 miles logged on as a result of falling for it.  Not bad for an old broke dick man, eh?  Yesterday I rode 21 miles and it was fast and hard.  I breathed hard the entire way.  Kept saying to myself that I would slow down when I got to that tree or the next corner but the stamina kept up and I rode it hard the whole way.  I was pretty proud of myself after I got home.  I want to break the 300 mile barrier before the end of the month.  Last year I pledged 150 miles and barely squeaked past that finish line so this year I’m going to double it. 

My weight has started escalating and I’m attributing it to muscle mass.  I’m afraid to measure my waist as I think the gain is both.  Too many carbs up top and muscle mass in my legs.  I mean I still have my svelte 007 manly looks if you can imagine 007 at 60.  What are going to do?  People at work bring in cookies, donuts and other pastry like victims that I love to torture and eventually gobble down.  I tell them (in my silent secret voice) to stop bringing that stuff in because I just can’t say no.  Now my job allows me to venture forth from my cube so I do get a lot of activity during the day.  I walk a minimum of 3 miles per day on the job and sometimes it hits 5 miles.  Some days I get out and just walk the neighborhood to take a long break.  There have been days that I’ve broken the 10 mile marker walking as well.  So it’s not for a lack of trying.  My cholesterol is high according to my doctor so my diet is suspect as well.  I’m not a good candidate for a Reader’s Digest story on the strength of character to attend to all the right things to diet down and get this thing under control.   I just need a personal nutritionist is all.  Is that too much to ask for? A wife or girlfriend to motivate me to keep cooking the good low carb stuff.    I made a low carb meatloaf the other day and then I make meat loaf sandwiches for leftovers smothered with mayonnaise.  I think that defeats the idea of what I’m doing.  Argh!

What’s making a big impact on my life in a positive way is learning about Buddhism.  I asked a friend who calls himself a Buddhist why and how he can call himself a Buddhist.  Do you need confirmation or something similar?  He said you can call yourself a Buddhist anytime you want.  So I’m making it official, I’m a Buddhist.  I read every day out of Buddhist books, meditate every day and try to effect a change that is in line with Buddhism thinking.  I attend a Sangha on Sunday nights, I’ve hiked with a Buddhist group. It was cool.  We sat next to a waterfall and each found a comfortable spot in the weeds to sit and then do a 20 minute sit in nature.  It was delightful.  My AA sponsor and I are working out of a book called, “The Tao of Sobriety” which is Buddha nature inspired.  Now I don’t sit under a Bodhi tree at night when I get home but if I had one I would.  It’s such an inspiring path to aspire too.  No dogma, no church, no daily prayers so to speak.  The meditation is so refreshing.  I don’t spaz out for 20 to 40 minutes straight.  In itself that is a joy.  My body not moving at all, no fidgeting, no rocking, just sitting and steady breathing. I haven’t levitated yet but I’m working on it.

I made a decision a couple of weeks ago to stop going to my Bipolar group.  It was the result of a misunderstanding but it humiliated me in a way that opened old wounds and the decision initially came out of that moment.  I was texted yesterday by a friend who wanted to know if I would come in and facilitate a room because Joe was out of town.  I immediately refused.  Now when I immediately refuse something, a reactive nature is in play.  Shoot first, ask questions later kind of thing.  So I thought about my answer later.  Not much but I did think a bit about it.  Why didn’t I want to go in and help?  I know I’ve gotten a lot of help from going to that group.  I had planned to ride my bike prior and I knew it would take up the time to go to the pre meeting social gathering.  I just didn’t want to go period.  I have put a lot of myself into that group and have gotten a lot out of it.  When I feel deprecated or slightly humiliated, with my sensitive nature, I back off and treat it like a snake in the woods.  Now Joe did reach out and apologize but it was through Facebook and I thought it was worthy of a phone call.  Now I’m splitting hairs.  But really, it should have been a phone call for the nature of what we are supposed to be to each other.  That burned a little bit into more of a resentment that will keep me away just that much longer.  I know that if I go in it will be on my mind and I won’t be able to separate how I feel from the miracle of what is allegedly going on in the rooms.  It’s just my nature right now.  My plan is too write about it inventory style and get to the root of this dilemma. My job is forcing me to quit my 6 – 3 shift and go to an 8-5 shift.  I feel that there are too many outside forces dictating what my life’s times should be spent doing and maybe that is part of it.  I don’t like being forced into shit that I have carefully built up and built my life around.  The job thing is very disturbing and number one in brain occupied thoughts.


My mental health is doing well.  I’ve been dealing with triggers better than before.  I’ve been staying straight and the struggle to use is weakening more and more each day.  It’s all good.  I enjoy going to AA meetings and have actually felt that I’m part of the group as a whole.  I rarely journal in meetings which is a huge change.  I usually would only journal in meetings so all people saw was me writing furiously in a journal and if I got called on I would just pass.  I did write a lot though!  I’ve been working with a sponsor religiously this last 1 ½ years and that is news.  We have a good working relationship and I have found myself doing all that he asks to do.  As a result the phenomenon of using has diminished greatly.  I found myself wanting to get high this past Saturday.  No reason, the thought just popped up in my head and it fucked with me for an hour.  I just fought it with, “No, not right now, later” thoughts and before I knew it, I was in bed, safe and sober for another night.  The battle seems small but it wasn’t and I’m proud once again to have slain another dragon in the daily fight to stay north of loaded.

1.  I'm grateful for my precious sobriety.
2.  I'm grateful for my introduction into Buddhism.
3.  I'm grateful for the friends I have in my life, close and nation wide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re