Skip to main content

Day 169 Beethoven and Buddhism

When I abruptly entered this world as a baby I was delivered into the arms of a woman, my mother.  What few moments of tenderness that happened at that time I’ll never know but I know a habit of sweetness was not initiated and it was a fight ever since to allow my place in this world to be valid.  I was not nurtured with love and grace rather tolerance and impatience.   What sweet mystery that is behind the face of a woman was never revealed to me other than a countenance that displayed rancor and disappointment.  I was never to know the beauty behind the secret smile, the tender guile behind gentle blue eyes.  No my mysteries were more the raging tempest of unpredictable storms, the stringent sting of a whip on my backside.   The humiliation of waning trust turned into a shallow bitterness weathered constantly in front of family, friends and the occasional feminine interest.  I felt more of a social experiment in a lab craftfully built to look like a home, a family, a den of safety. My siblings mere players witnessing the same force taking their cues from whatever source they artfully hid from the grand director. My dad, a cow chewing his cud balefully off to the side of whatever event unfolded that involved feelings or understanding. But a family we were and off to the world we were sent to double as adults in all matters of import, recreation, love and depth.  Spoiler alert, the depths were never deep enough.

So when my therapist asked me to write what scares me about being with a woman I had to bark out loud.  “Scared of women?  Why I was whittled by the finest blade out of the toughest wood to be where I am today.”  Single.  Two marriages behind me, countless relationships strewn on the rocks of a typical Maine coastline.  Or as I call it, a Maniac coastline.   Was it fear that fell those affairs?  Or was it too keen an understanding and getting out before the cut?  Why I don’t know if it was fear or straight up terror that cut me up into ribbons.  When a woman says she loves me, I think I initially cringe.  Oh god, what am I going to have to deal with to satisfy that love?  What trick pony will I have to turn into to keep that feeling alive?  Isn’t kissing you and saying I love you every night not good enough?  What does it mean?  Even if a woman says I’m loved in a strictly platonic sense I pale and recede into myself.  Don’t single me out with that word. I’m probably no more going to answer this than to blurt out clever little sentences until you give up reading this waiting for an answer.

I went to a recovery meeting the other night.  It is recovery based on Buddhist principles which I’m in infancy stages of absorbing into my life.  It was my first time going to this group as I had just heard of it a few days before.  I bought the book they were reading, “Radical Acceptance” by Tara Brach and read the chapter 6 that that night’s meeting was to be based on.  She was talking about desire and the suffering it creates when you attach too strongly.  Hmm nothing I’m not aware of acutely.  But the point I want to make is that some people that were scheduled to go canceled (men) and it ended by being 5 women I did not know and me, the sole male occupant.  It was in someone’s house (uh oh an intimate setting) and we all took off our shoes (way getting uncomfortable intimacy now).  I sat or rather balled myself up on the end of a couch, the very end of the couch and opened my mind.  The way an oyster opens ups to reveal the pearl inside.  I was just sitting there waiting to be open, to be comfortable, and to share whatever it was we were going to share.  And then the meeting started and each woman opened up to the miracle of over sharing.  Tara’s section in the chapter was aptly titled, “The Emergence of a Wanting Self”.  I wanted self to split and call it a tie.   When it came my turn as in everyone talked and the silence in the room seemed to indicate a certain share to be revealed I squeaked.  My body contracted into itself and I physically posited each word carefully and doggedly. Not words of strength but wavers of sound and each syllable painfully painted on to an easel of a moth’s wing.  I just felt so uncomfortable because I wasn’t used to being in the “inner” circle of such intimate sharing with such ease and assurance.  They made an AA meeting sound like we just bang on the table with our coconut shells with swarthy grunts and oomphs.  I was clearly out of my league.  I wanted my fucking shoes back on!  There was a little dissent in the group towards the end as one woman didn’t feel that they were sharing deep enough.  Deep enough?  I just started taking the nails out of my palms and feet when she was saying that and realized the holy terror of being so out of touch with myself.  Why was I so frightened?  What made me any different than these women that I couldn’t feel completely comfortable sharing my wit, my sarcasm, oh god, my truth?

So what scares me about women?  I truthfully don’t know.   I think that I don’t know is what scares me.  When they love me, what does that mean?  I want it to mean that I can be my broken self, healing with unconditional patience.  I got off to a bad start and yeah it was years ago but I never knew the beating I took until each relationship started to go south and I would try to play catch up.  In the heat of broken heartedness I would fall into another affair and it was mixing oil with water. I no sooner was whiplashed by a woman and by my nature to dodge whippings I would dodge the feelings that cut to close to the bone and just bury my hatchet into another woman.  I would jump in knee deep and just start acting the role of concerned, collected, funny, incredibly witty part.  I could be intimate sounding because I knew the value of protecting my ass.  It was wholly inconsistent and that would always catch up to me.  I had to be the number one man, center of attraction all the time or something was wrong with me.  It had be loving attention or I was doing something wrong and I would over compensate in small ways, in big ways, in a lot of ways.  Each day a part of me would die when I felt that hot pain of failure.  I would give up in molecular ways and after a while it would build up to a white heat of misunderstandings and uncollectivness.  I would drift away in a cloud of accusations and find myself with the worst friend I had, me, again.

I will go back to that meeting and I will keep going until I feel no fear to share to be equal to everyone in the room.  I won’t let the aliens get to me as strong as they typically do in their mild and secretive temperament.  I won’t contract when I talk. I won’t squeak or bellow, just enrich the room with my mellow. Ha ha, bad poetry isn’t a good sign that I’m taking this seriously enough.  If someone tells me they love me, I want to just let them love me in their way and accept it like breathing in and out.  I know I want it but I don’t need to strangle it to keep it. I’ll stick with Buddhism and Beethoven and ride the ride with loose garments and worthiness.

1.       I’m grateful I can still write with passion.
2.       I’m grateful for my neighbor inspiring me to write.
3.       I’m grateful that I take my neighbor’s garbage out every week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re