Skip to main content

Day 194 Tangled


I feel I may have overshared in yesterday’s post.  But I have to stay authentic and it is just mental streaming coming from my brain.  The truth is is that song was played after all the drama that went on between us.  I gave her the CD more than a year after everything finally tapered off.  But everytime I played that song I would feel a tug to want to go back into the pit of hell with her.  There was no lesson learned that I applied in any sensical way.  I wanted to be with her despite all the insanity that piled up behind that thinking.  The song that really went on during the whole crazy affair was by Maroon V.  There was a mix of songs on their CD, “Songs About Jane” that qualified but the one that would set my hair on fire was “Tangled”.

“I’m full of regret
For all the things I’ve done and said
And I don’t know if it’ll ever be ok to show
My face ‘round here
Sometimes  I wonder if I disappear,

Would you ever turn your head and look
See if I’m gone
Cause I fear,

There is nothing left to say to you
That you wanna hear
That you wanna know
I think I should go
The things I’ve done was way to shameful.

You’re just innocent
A helpless victim of a spider’s web
And I’m an insect
Going after anything that I can get.

So you better turn and run
And don’t look back
Cause I fear,

There is nothing left to say
To you
That you wanna hear
That you wanna know
I think I should go
The things I’ve done are way to shameful.

And I’ve done you so wrong
Treated you bad
Strung you along
Oh shame on myself
I don’t know how I got so tangled up.”

It could have been a song for both Nan and Nicole.  Shit I just listened to the entire CD and every song has lyrics that applied to the craziness that happened.  And it was craziness.  There was not a day without drama between us if we met in the hallway.  The law was laid down that we were not supposed to make contact if and if we did, people came running.  But the time came when I could look at her and not want contact, barely, and even talk to her normally.  She would still lie to me about something so I knew fundamentally that she would never change but could I? 

If you’ve never been 5150’d, never been strapped to a gurney because of frenzied insanity you can never know the pull, the strong draw of the sinking pit of despair that beckons you for another taste.  The wealth of emotions rigorously drawing you into a cipher of rawness, of pain beyond any daily program has its own addiction.  It is sad to say this but it’s true.  With Nicole  her voice, her looks, her touch would find that place inside of me and open those wounds to freely fester with abandon.  It didn’t have anything to do with common sense, it couldn’t.  I almost lost everything so one more trip to the rat hall didn’t matter much to me.  Hell, it became a sanctuary after a while.  The only place I felt safe.  The combination of seeing her, thinking of her, hearing any song from that CD would start the process.  A strange Pavlovian darkness would draw over me and I would sit down and have to concentrate hard on where I was at, who I really was and what did I really want. 

Years later when I was with my girlfriend of 2 years, we went to Tower Café for a Sunday brunch.  Nicole is standing in line with her kids and some old lady.  I should have immediately turned around and walked out but I couldn’t.  I was mesmerized by seeing her so randomly.  Of course when she saw me she was so excited she gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek right in front of Julie.  She introduced herself as I was slightly at a loss for words.  The café was crowded and when everyone was finally seated she was directly in my view.  For the entire lunch.  I had trouble concentrating on what Julie was talking about as the memories of the madness pranced around rudely in my head.  This is now years after initial contact and I still had active damage rummaging in my brain.  All over a girl!  Just another woman no different than the many other women I’ve been with or wanted to be with. 

When I gave the Paulo Nutini CD to Nicole that day (I just left it on her desk with a note), I wrote that the song “Loving You” could have been our song.  Yeah I was brave touting that kind of stuff.  But she was hooked on “Last Request” for some strange reason.  You be the judge:

“Back off loneliness, and hello tenderness
I’ve been waiting for your call so long.
It must have been hard just to follow your soul
To stick to the road that your heart wants you to go,
And as you slide through the door
With your morals on your sleeve,
I think it’s time for all those morals to leave
So let’s get down and freaky baby.
Let’s get restless baby, come on get crazy with me.

And I said
When you’re loving me, I’m loving you
And I love all the prowess in the things that you do,
And it’s your flawless soul that bleeds my stone,
And when your loving me, I’m loving you
And that’s when we’ve got it goin’ on.

So many people think we’ve got it wrong,
They’ll try to break us but we won’t play along,
So let’s get down and dirty baby
Let’s get restless baby
Come on get crazy with me.

And I said
When you’re loving me, I’m loving you
I love your prowess in the things that you do.
And it’s your flawless soul that bleeds my stone,
And when you loving me, I’m loving you.
And that’s when we’ve got it goin’ on, oh goin’ on.

I was so stranded
I was lost and abandoned
I needed another home
And you fly in my arms
You just fly right into my arms.

And when you’re loving me, I’m loving you.
I love your prowess in the things that you do.
And it’s your flawless soul that bleeds into my stone.
And when you’re loving me, I’m loving you,
And that’s when we’ve got it goin’ on.”



Continue until you’re insane.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re