Skip to main content

Day 202 The Dating Game


I had an interesting hour with my therapist.  I was spun out by my head exhausting all possibilities between a and b without knowing any facts.  I was guessing but I based it on old history.  Of course it has to do with a woman I went out on a date with.  It was a great date, we had dinner, frozen yogurt, we held hands and we even kissed ever so lightly on the lips as our night ended.  There was no problem with the date, it was after the date that my trouble began.  I wanted to see her again.  Of course I did.  But it was the when that was driving my anxiety.  I felt I had to have more control over the when.  She has kids so there are automatic certain days that are out and then there are vacations coming up for the both of us so that leaves a very thin window of opportunity.  In fact there is a Wednesday coming up that would be ideal but it’s a work night for her so it would be a short night if it were to be a night at all.  But hold up Chris, what’s the real deal?  What is the anxiety over seeing her about?  You are single and you have developed a liking for living that style of life.  Why all of a sudden do you need to “see” a woman? And why does it drive you so?

My therapist was getting into my personality vs. my soul attributes and I felt like I was getting lost.  She was “telling” me a lot of stuff and I told her I felt like I was being scolded.  I know for a fact that that is the last thing that she would do but it felt that same none the less.  The pluses and the minuses don’t add up anyway so what’s the fuss about?  She has kids, she’s 18 years younger.  But for once I didn’t think about her age being an issue.  I just like her and am attracted to her.  Do I have to start being critical of such age differences from now on?  Like becoming 60 is a cancer and you have to have cancer to enter the room of happiness to be with me?  I know, sour grapes, huh?  It doesn’t add up really but I just have to not care right now.  We all live in the present, right?  Of all the things I’m learning in Buddhism it’s the now that is the most prevalent thing I’m learning.  So if we’re 18 years apart?  It doesn’t mean we can’t try to have fun together does it?  What if it only last for 6 months but a good 6 months?  We deny that possibility because right off the bat I’m too old or she’s too young?  I don’t buy it.  I can no more say that dating a woman my age will end up in marriage using the same argument.

She has kids, school age kids.  Well that’s a problem.  I’ve kind of done my time with kids.  Both as a parent and as a step parent.  Although I’m not for that kind of action I’m also flexible.  It’s a fact of life.  Some people have kids, some don’t.  I don’t want to judge my relationships on the lack of children.  And it doesn’t matter how old the kids are, well maybe if they’re under 10, but kids are kids no matter what age they are.  The parents are always going to hold back, cancel plans etc. because of their kids.  I would do it in a heartbeat if Ry called me and needed help with something.  I’m not suggesting that I willing to run for step dad of the year contest, I would be as neutral as I possibly can.  I can’t resist an audience if someone will laugh at my corny attempts of humor so be ready for that.  But once again I’m in for the chance of fun and maybe a little romance.  Who am I to dictate where I will find that kind of dance?  If I cut out a certain demographic then shame on me when I complain that I’m single and tired of being single.  They’re boys and I’ve done both so I have a little experience.  I’m not expected to raise anyone here so the argument is moot.

I have to work for 7 more years before I can retire, maybe then I’ll be more weary of kids but once again I can’t predict the future.  I’m learning to live in the now.  There is a lot less pain in this style of living.  When I bring up my past in comparison I bring on the pain.  When I think of what’s happening in the present I feel a nice thing is blossoming and I like it.  I don’t want to tarnish it with history, future tripping, insecurities etc.  I just want to learn how to have fun in the now.  I just want to enjoy what I discover behind a laugh, a wink, a smile, the touch of hands holding each other.  Discover how the other person thinks, her history, our commonalities, our fears in reference to our strengths today.  Discovering the delicacy on her sense of humor, how far can I go before I get into the Shirley zone and freak ‘em out.  I went pretty far and she was still laughing.  Pure enjoyment there.  The discovery of any person while dating is such a joy that nothing as drole as age, kids, or whatever should hold you back.  If you like someone, follow your heart, stay in the present, live like your life depended on the present because it does people.

Comments

  1. Not judging you but, wouldn't you want a long term (as in rest of your life) relationship, someone who will stand by you and is more your age? Or do you only care about today? If so, you could be in for a lot of heartache later.
    You will certainly grow older than she, and she will be looking for something more....just saying.
    Also, I've done the "kid thing". When you are in a new relationship, you don't want to compete with her children for her attention, especially at that age. An adult child would be less needy. At least I didn't in the end. Sorry for being the devil's advocate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re