Skip to main content

Day 235 A Wonderfully Happy Life


I chaired a meeting yesterday morning at North Hall.  It’s the LGBT meeting for Sacramento.  I don’t know why you needed to know that.  You need to know that it’s the first time that I’ve been there.  It wasn’t too bad, about 13 or 14 people.  Of course I don’t have a spiel lined up other than I wanted to talk about happiness.  How my life has been shaped by happiness, the lack thereof, the pursuit, the moments that I mistook for happiness etc.  I started by mentioning my mom’s lack of happiness and how it affected my pursuit of happiness.  You see if she wasn’t happy, she took it out on us.  In me it created a need to affect my mom so she was always happy.  OH what a responsibility to be in charge of keeping mom happy.  Nothing was predictable so she could go off in any moment and for any reason.  It’s hard to keep control of the uncontrollable.  And there are no perks for this job, I would get beaten with the coffee cord if my plans were really waylaid.  And then restricted to limited air space (i.e. restriction) was the other punishment.  The shit never really stopped.  So initially my happiness was regulated by the amount of beatings I did not receive.  Or the fact that I wasn’t on restriction.  When I was a good boy.

The false sense of security of being a good boy was my fool’s paradise.  But the practice of being happy during those moments gave me a bit of insight that happiness did not have to be something wild and amusement park ridey to experience.  It just had to be free from pain.  The pain I experienced was internal more that external.  You see if I couldn’t make my mom happy I experienced fear, uneasiness and anxiety about the surreal nature of her next time going off like a volcano.  Combined with my ADHD like tendencies I acted a lot of my anxiety out.  Plus I was the sensitive child in the family.  Not a lot of qualities you need to be muscle of a very out of control situation.  Moments that I was supposed to be happy, opening presents at Christmas or birthday, was tense and so untrue to my nature.  I couldn’t act disappointed if I got a stick of something similar.  I always had to act happy.  I was a happy whore.  But it completely took me out of myself.  It distorted so much the person I was supposed to be that I didn’t know who I was ever.  Seeing my friends were a brief respite from the daily torture of being around such a creature.  But I would do whatever they wanted to do I was so washed out on what I wanted to do and be.  Therefore trouble generated trouble.  And nothing irritates the Warhorse than trouble with the children.  “Bring out the implements of torture, this one has to be taught a lesson!”  And so it went.

When I was a teenager we moved to Germany.  A new start?  Well new friends anyway.   I developed a cultish friendship with my friends and we would do anything to be happy.  We could go to bars as Germany didn’t have a law on minimum age.  So bar hopping we went.  And restrictions added up.  And on and on and on.  Then I discovered hashish, shit, the best stuff ever.  One hit from a chillum and I was mega high and I didn’t think about anything.  It was the perfect elixir and I partook in it every day for a year and a half until I went back to the states.  It was a bliss beyond happiness.  I would take a hit, hold my nose because I would invariably cough and I didn’t want to lose the smoke so soon.  The inside of my ear drums would take a beating but I didn’t care.  The high at the other end of the match was so worth it.  The state of happiness was suspended with a feeling of mirth and uncaring daring.  I was an even match with all of my friends, Germans, GI’s, civilians and fellow dependents.  It didn’t matter who I was with, I felt equal.  Something I hadn’t felt independently for a long time.  Of course it was on a path that I couldn’t pursue 24 hours a day but I would if I could and I sure as shit tried.  There were no more restrictions at this point because I would just laugh and leave whenever I wanted.  My parents even ran away because I wouldn’t.  There was a time over there when I was living the life of an adult (who had full run on his parent’s house).  I really thought I was living the life.  At least a life like no other teenager in the US could be living.  It was pretty intense at times getting and staying high over there.   It wasn’t a party it was on organic thing, you had to nurture it to stay alive.  Sometimes I miss the passion I had when I was living that dream.  But all dreams end and I had to go back to the states.  A huge stain on my happiness.  It was a bummer times 100 leaving Deutschland for Maine, USA.

It was so long ago when I lived that life but it was a coming of age and it was an age that I didn’t want to come to or have end.  Happiness manufactured by me for my mental mom or happiness created by drugs for me.  It didn’t seem to manifest in any organic way, just by external crazy events.  I created a template for the rest of my adult life to follow and didn’t realize the damage I was creating.  I felt that only outside stimulus could create happiness and that nothing I did would create that much value of happy.  I gave up trying unless it was booze or drugs.  You can’t find peace of mind when you’re high or trying to get high.  You can provide a vehicle for someone’s temporary happiness but you can’t be the main line for anybody.  It’s just not feasible or believable.  Or real.  My mom didn’t inspire any happiness inside of me and I’m sure it would have been simpler and more valuable if it came from her end rather than mine.  But it didn’t and I had to deal with the cards I was dealt.  I continued my pursuit of getting high for 10 years after high school and lost a lot of traction growing up.  I made decisions that affect my life today.  Like not staying in college.  I just couldn’t do it, it was interfering with my happiness.  I couldn’t be that responsible.  There was no one in my corner rooting for me, pushing me and even willing me to do it.  I had to come up with that stuff all by myself and I just didn’t have the wiring for it at the time.  Maybe now I do but I have to fight with senior citizen status now and am not sure it’s the thing for me to do at this age.  But I have found happiness in other things these past decades.  None more pure that when I recognize the moment’s sublime are the moments of happiness.  When nothing is going on, no drama, no induced high, nothing and I feel comfortable, I feel stable, I feel happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all Fucked up

Yesterday I ate a bowlful of triggers and broke down completely in my therapist’s office.   Sure some of it has to do with turning 60 but there were older more ancient forces at work.   I’m lazy, I’m a loser, I’m lonely, and I’m financially fragile.   I, I, I.   I am having a hard time seeing the good in my life and there is good.   I have my own home, I have a healthy son and a pretty good relationship with him.   My health is not bad, I wish I had straighter teeth. So I don’t know what was the champion of the I hate me club that brought me down so strategically.   I got a birthday card from a former girlfriend inviting me out to a dinner and I think that was what started it.   I realized that all the work that I’ve done in therapy and with my AA sponsor was all interrelated with the failings that transpired during that relationship.   The more I realized it, the greater power they started to have again in my brain.   I’m still super sensitive in temperament and I do suffer from e
I Am Dardanelle So I decide I’m going to go for a hike but I don’t want to drive. What to do?  Well my strength is imagination, pursuing thoughts, strong holding onto old memories, er, you get the picture.  So let’s take a virtual walk.  Summon all my daily thoughts and tell them to take the day off, I’m going on a hike!  This is my hike.  It is on my planet and is free for all to enjoy.  I speed through the uneventful drive but secretly delight in the destination ahead.  I always get lost so part of the adventure is finding the right spot to park.  I have to unclutter my mind and focus on the feeling that tells me the right place to stop.  I stop and get out and look at where I am.  The road is planted in the middle of an immense garden of pines, cedars, elms, big rocks, pine needles and clouds.   My path today is traipsing through this garden with no thought of later. I skip across the street and instantly I’m straining my way over a well chiseled trail.  Nothing is smooth as

Day 361 It's Just Days Now

My friend told me I shouldn’t date a woman from the “program” as they are just too damaged.    I countered that opinion with my second wife who was “normal” but crazier than bat shit in the end.   She had her own agenda and it wasn’t about making peace or being compassionate.   I think women from the program are as damaged as any woman or man but the one thing that separates them from outside women is that they are trying to heal.   Whatever way or path that they choose is still driven by a choice of wanting to get healthy.   And on a good day they realize that they are broken and they pick up their pieces and try to mold them into a way of life guided by some sense of sanity.   I’ve known normal women that don’t even see how they’re wrong with anything.   There is no fighting them as you’ve lost before you say the first word.   My mom was a perfect example of this theory. I’m afraid of women right now.   I think about them more often than not.   What would it be like to be in a re